Summer Fun

summer fun       If you are planning on staying home this summer, there are a variety of cheap, free, fun activities and events to enjoy around the West Linn area.

The classic local events include:

• West Linn Music in the Park, at Tanner Creek Park.

• Movies in the park, also in Tanner Creek Park on Friday, Aug 23, 8:30p.m. – 11 p.m.

• The West Linn Old Time Fair, July 19, 20 and 21.  A long list of fun activities are set such as pie eating contests, car shows, performances from local bands and gymnastics studios, rides, and of course the crowning of the fair Queen.

The Willamette Docks are also a free fun option for warm days with some friends; as well as neighborhood pools and the North Clackamas Aquatic Park.

Looking for an amusement park? Oaks Park is not only cheap, but offers a great variety of activities from  roller coasters to rollerblading.

Another idea is to gather some friends and hold a movie marathon on a day when it’s too hot.   The West Linn Public Library has free check- in out for DVDs and VHS movies.  Take a walk afterwards when it is cooler.

Mary S. Young Park is hosting a Family Trail Running series on June 18, July 16 and August 20 at 6 p.m.  at no cost.  Run will be a 5K through the beautiful trails of Mary S. Young Park.

Lake Oswego, only a few minutes out of West Linn, offers a number of free and enjoyable events throughout this summer break as well.

•  With an average of 80 different vendors, the Lake Oswego Farmers Market is held every Saturday, starting through October 12, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m, it is located on 200 First Street.  There, you can find fresh made food cooked by local growers and franchises.  It has a vast amount of meal choices, with everything from Asian Cuisine to freshly made organic donuts.  West Linn Farmers market  is held at the General Store on Saturdays from 11-4pm through October.

• Sounds of Summer Concerts, held at Foothills Park features a number of talented artists, there is food and drink available for purchase.  Lie down on a blanket in the grass, and enjoy the concert in the park.  The concerts are every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.