Rory Bialostosky

Rory Bialostosky, WLHSnow Staff, LIVE Commentator

When he’s not taking pilot lessons, hanging out with friends or keeping up with politics, Rory Bialostosky, junior is covering and analyzing sports games. Since he was young, he’s been involved with sports, playing basketball, baseball and soccer. While he was a good player, he realized in eighth grade that he enjoyed the mental aspect of analyzing each move more than playing them.

“I always liked sports, but I didn’t have the idea physique to play them,” Bialostosky said. “I liked the mental process more.”

This led to him joining the broadcast team in his sophomore year.

“I didn’t join any journalism classes in my freshman year because I didn’t know they were  options,” Bialostosky said.

Since Bialostosky’s joined, he’s started WLHS’s first ever sports podcast, Talkin’ Ball to carry out his passion. To start it up, he was donated a bit of funding from Mr. Horak, vice principal and athletics director.

“He likes me so I told him about my podcast and he said he would provide some of the funding to help,” Bialostosky said.

Prior to starting Talkin’ Ball however, Bialostosky never listened to podcasts.

“When I started Talkin’ Ball, I just made up my own structure,” ” Bialostosky said. Since then however, he’s started listening to more sports commentators and his current favorite commentator is hockey announcer Mike Emrick.

Bialostosky also hopes the podcast will boost his college resume and help him become admitted to his dream school.

“My dream school is University of Southern California’s Annenberg School of Journalism,” Bialostosky said.

In the future, Bialostosky hopes to become a sports broadcaster for the Portland Trail Blazers basketball team.

All content by Rory Bialostosky
Zach Anderson delivers a pitch in the seventh inning of his no-hitter.

[Photo] Anderson throws no-hitter, sweep of Lakeridge complete

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
April 28, 2018

Lexie Pritchard communicates to her teammates on defense during the Lions playoff game versus Oregon City.  Communication on defense will be a key versus North Medford.

Girls basketball prepares for North Medford in first state tournament appearance since 2012

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
March 6, 2018

Two girls basketball programs with similar storylines, the No. 4 West Linn Lions (23-3, 14-2 Three Rivers League) and the No. 5 North Medford Black Tornadoes (18-8, 10-2 Southwest Conference), will collide...

Several inches of snow blanketed the area multiple times last winter. The first real measurable snow event appears to be heading our way Tuesday into Wednesday. (Photo by Rory Bialostosky)

Snow likely on the way to our area Tuesday and Wednesday

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
February 19, 2018

8:30 AM UPDATE: The National Weather Service Portland has upgraded the Winter Weather Advisory to a Winter Storm Warning for West Linn and the surrounding area. A Winter Storm Warning is issued when forecasted...

Micah Garrett tracks down a loose ball versus Tualatin on Feb. 9. Garrett scored 18 points in the game. (Photo by Rory Bialostosky)

Lions down Timberwolves, avenge losses in 83-76 Friday night hoops victory

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
February 10, 2018

Redemption. The West Linn boys basketball team got just that on Friday night with a gutsy win over the Tualatin Timberwolves. After dropping a critical Three Rivers League conference game versus Lake...

Lexie Pritchard prepares to shoot a free throw after making a layup and drawing a foul in the fourth quarter. (Photo by Rory Bialostosky)

Girls basketball pulls away from Canby in fourth quarter to win 40-33

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
February 3, 2018

It definitely wasn’t pretty, but somehow, someway, Lexie Pritchard, senior point guard, and company willed their way to victory down the stretch against Canby to improve to 10-2 in Three Rivers League...

Jalen Thompson, senior, draws a foul as he shoots a three-point field goal on Jan. 19 versus Sherwood. (Photo by Rory Bialostosky)

Lions shoot past Bowmen, 79-44

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
January 20, 2018

For the first time in a few games, West Linn head coach Tyler Toney was all smiles following a near wire-to-wire victory by his team.  “I thought we played really, really hard and we really shared...

Rory Bialostosky (left) and Head Coach Chris Miller chat postgame.

Football playoff podcast: Cody Fretwell, Ahmir McGee, Coach Miller

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Reporter
November 16, 2017

Sports reporter Rory Bialostosky sat down with Cody Fretwell and Ahmir McGee in studio to discuss the playoffs, and interviewed Chris Miller as well. Listen here using the embedded player below.

Rory Bialostosky (left) interviews Chris Miller postgame.

Football Podcast #2: Tigard game preview, WR/KR James Marshall and HC Chris Miller

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Reporter
October 6, 2017

Sports reporter Rory Bialostosky sat down with James Marshall, senior in studio to preview the Tigard football game tonight, the football season as a whole and more. Also, the weekly segment "Coach's...

Fire blazes across the Columbia River Gorge. Smoke from the fires is a hazard to health of people living in the surrounding area, causing sports and other outdoor activities to be postponed.

Smoke descends as Tuesday night athletic events loom

Rory Bialostosky, Sports Editor
September 5, 2017

As the Eagle Creek Fire quickly advanced 12 miles through the Ore. side of the Columbia River Gorge and threatened the famed Multnomah Falls Lodge overnight, the massive plume of smoke created by the blaze...

A grounds crew member surveys the field conditions at Newberg High School before going to work.

Delay due to poor field conditions at Newberg doesn’t rattle Lions

Rory Bialostosky, Staff Writer
April 10, 2017

All 19 baseball players on the roster got at-bats, 14 players got hits and the West Linn Lions shellacked the Newberg Tigers on Monday to remain at the top of the Three Rivers League standings. First pitch...

Lions show heart, effort, but late rally comes up short

Rory Bialostosky
May 31, 2016

Photo Credit: Jess Reynolds Lions show heart, effort, but late rally comes up short   EUGENE -- On a picturesque day at a picture-perfect ballpark, the West Linn Lions 2016 baseball...

[Video] Football Recap Q4 10/9/15

Kyle Swartz, Rory Bialostosky
October 9, 2015

The West Linn Lions took on the Sherwood Bowmen on October 9th and it proved to be a down-to-the-wire game, as West Linn fell late in the game to Sherwood, 39-35. Commentator Rory Bialostosky runs us through...

Load More Stories
$50
$500

Rory Bialostosky