Local entertainment provides plenty of activities over spring break

Are you staying local for spring break and looking for something to do? This list has you covered with plenty of activities to enjoy, most of which are offered at little to no price.
Activities
1.    OMSI
Head over to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry to experience tons of new and innovative exhibits. A $12 ticket will provide you with an all-day pass to OMSI’s five exhibit halls and eight science labs. Check out “Da Vinci: The Genius,” a special exhibit open all week long. “I really like how they are trying to create new exhibits that focus more on teens,” John Rowan, freshman, said.
2.    The Oregon Zoo
The Oregon Zoo is holding a “Gone Wild Beach Party,” that runs March 19-27 and hosts a different activity each night. During the day you can simply stroll through the park and enjoy the wide variety of exotic animals. At $10.50 a day, you can make the most of your break at the zoo.
3.    Pittock Mansion
The Pittock Mansion, which is located in the West Hills, offers amazing views from downtown to Mt. Hood for just $5.50. Guided tours of this century-old home originally built by Henry and Georgina Pittock, owners of the Oregonian in 1860, are available, but free roaming is available too. If learning history seems a bit much to handle during break, you can always hike the network of paths intertwined around the house. Overall, the Pittock mansion offers a unique experience that’s hard to find elsewhere.
4.    The Portland Art Museum
The Portland Art Museum is completely free to all teens under the age of 17 and currently is currently showing many exhibits including paintings from the famous painter, Mark Rothko. View various forms of art and when finished, enjoy the rest of the day in the downtown areas many restaurants and shops.
5.    Saturday Market
Open on both Saturday and Sunday from March to December and located in the Waterfront and Ankeny parks, the Saturday Market is an experience like none other. Being the nation’s largest continually operating outdoor arts and crafts market, there is a huge selection of things to do. With free admission, it’s up to you what to purchase. “The Saturday Market is pretty cool place. It’s nice to look around and find stuff like little trinkets,” Lucas Bennington, sophomore, said. Whether you are looking to shop or just browsing around on a nice day, the Saturday Market has got something for everyone.
6.    Powell’s Book Store
Oregon is synonymous with Powell’s book store, the largest independent book seller in the nation.  Endless rows of books and a warm environment make Powell’s, located on Burnside, a very popular destination. Even if you are going out of town, you can pick up a new (or used) book for your trip. Relax in the coffee shop located in the store or cuddle up with your book at home after making your purchase.
7.    Pioneer Courthouse Square
The most visited site in Oregon’s most visited city is located in downtown Portland and has many different venues located within its surroundings. In just a short walk, you will find yourself at places ranging from the Portland Art Museum, to Voodoo Doughnuts, and even the many restaurants all under a mile away. With so many different locations around the square, it’s hard to know where to begin.
8.    Cinetopia
The Cinetopia is an all-in-one experience that combines dining and movies into a single trip. Before watching a movie, you are able to order food from Vinetopia Dining up to 10-minutes prior to the start of the show. With many different viewing options, from the typical grand theater to the living room theater which aims to make you feel at home, you will see movies in a whole new way. And with the “Hunger Games” finally out, spring break is the perfect time to go.