The Orange Backpack: Survival kit for The Hunger Games movies

If you haven’t read “The Hunger Games” yet, but still want to watch the movie, there are a few things that may be helpful to know before you watch the movie.

1. The story is set in a dying world.

“The Hunger Games” takes place in a country named Panem, where North America used to be. North America was destroyed with warfare and natural disasters, and this post-apocalyptic world is still under turmoil. The Capitol rests in the Rockies and District 12, the district which Katniss is from, protrudes from the Appalachians.

2. There used to be 13 districts, but now there are 12.

When District 13 rebelled, the others rapidly followed suit. The Capitol was enraged, destroyed District 13, and created the Hunger Games to show how empowered and dominant they are. Every year, they show a picture of District 13’s rubble to remind the Districts what would happen to them if they try to rebel again.

3. The Hunger Games is a yearly event.

After District 13 was eradicated, the Capitol designed the Hunger Games as a way to torture the Districts and show them not to rebel again. All Districts are forced to provide two tributes, one boy and one girl, to fight to the death with the other District’s children whatever arena in which they are thrown. Only one tribute will survive, and they are dubbed the victor and proceed to live a life of luxury in the Victor’s village provided by their district.

4. The Capitol is the richest portion of the population.

Decked out in outrageous clothing, body paint, tattoos and bizarre hairstyles, the Capitol represents everything that the Districts are not. Even their accents separate them from the rest of the general public. Unaware of the poverty and famine that the rest of the population is enduring, they live in paradise, free to do whatever they wish.

5. It’s not all about the Games.

The story is not all blood, gore, and children killing each other. Also included is a love triangle, and many important messages about the world, society, family and poverty. Let the games begin!