Summer movies and concerts: August

As August, the warmest month of the year, rolls around, school has been out for almost two straight months. By this time, going to the mall and lounging by the pool has become a mundane routine. To help ward off the summer boredom, here are some fun festivals and movies to see to help celebrate the final stretch of summer.

August 3 – “The Bourne Legacy”

The fourth movie in the highly successful Bourne series returns with a noticeable difference: longtime Bourne actor Matt Damon has been replaced by Jeremy Renner, who will play a fellow assassin. Edward Norton and Rachel Weisz co-star in the film. The Bourne Legacy is an action thriller that is rated PG-13 for violence and and action sequences.

August 3 – “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days”

The third installment of the successful movie/book series “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” returns with this playful family comedy. Dog Days follows the wimpy Greg Heffley, played by Zachary Gordon, as he tries to beat the summer boredom by getting a job at the local country club. Hi-jinks and mischief are bound to ensue. Dog Days is a comedy that is rated PG for some rude humor.

August 3-5 – Oregon Jamboree 2012

Oregon’s very own country musical festival returns to Sweet Home, located near the Cascade Mountains. The three-day event boasts large camping grounds along with two stages. The acts this year include headliners Rascal Flatts, Dierks Bentley, and Wynonna Judd along with ten other bands for 22 shows. Three day passes start at $135 dollars while single day tickets start at $85. Tickets , along with camping and parking information can be found at http://www.oregonjamboree.com/.

August 3- 5 – Pickathon

The 14th annual Pickathon Indie Roots Music Festival returns to Pendarvis Farm on the outskirts of Portland. The festival includes indie acts such as Neko Case, Dr. Dog and Blitzen Trapper, all with 44 other acts spread out onto six stages. A three day ticket to Pickathon starts at $190 and can be purchased at http://pickathon.com/. Information about camping and parking can also be found there.

August 5 – Vans Warped Tour

The annual alternative-punk music festival makes its way to the Rose Quarter Riverfront in Portland on Aug. 5. The lineup includes over 70 bands, including acts like All Time Low, Breathe Carolina, Mayday Parade, and You Me at Six. The all day event lasts from noon to 9 p.m., and tickets are around $31. They can be purchased at http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1617455.

August 17 – “ParaNorman”

The new stop-motion 3D adventure from the company that produced “Coraline” comes a comedy about a young outcast named Norman, played by Kodi Smit-McPhee, who is able to communicate with the dead. This becomes a useful ability when zombies and ghosts begin to invade Norman’s town. ParaNorman is rated PG for scary action scenes and some rude humor.

August 17 – “Sparkle”

Whitney Houston’s final role before her untimely death finally makes its way into theaters. A young singer, played by Jordin Sparks, along with her two sisters struggle to make it as a successful singing group in Detroit during the Motown era. Houston plays Sparks’ mom, and helps Sparks’ navigate the hardships she experiences on the road to success. Sparkle is not yet rated.

August 17 – 19 – Willamette Country Music Festival

The three day country music event returns to Brownsville on Aug. 17-19. The festival boasts big name acts such as The Band Perry, Sugarland and Martina McBride along with 10 other acts. Three-day general admission tickets can be purchased for $85 dollars and they can be found at http://www.willamettecountrymusicfestival.com/index.php.