“Pride and Prejudice” auditions to be held; high hopes with modernized version

The WLHS Theatre Arts Program will hold auditions for “Pride and Prejudice: First Impressions” on Monday, Dec. 10 at 3:30 p.m in the Black Box.
After a successful run of “Kiss Me, Kate”, the Theatre Arts department will be producing a modernized version of “Pride and Prejudice.” Jessica Murray, Theatre Arts director, chose this version because it was written by a local playwright, Connor Kerns, the Artistic Director of Quintessence: Language and Imagination Theatre, a local theatre company. He is also a faculty member at Portland Actors Conservatory.In this play version, the performance is dramatic and is done with no scenery with some furniture. Locations are vital in the book version, but in this play, the focus will be more of the characters. Auditioners are expected to have skills with the language, interpretation and physicality of the story. Character and bold choices are also expected in order to assign roles.

“We always strive for excellence with each one, no matter how different the styles may be,” Murray said. “‘Pride and Prejudice’ will, most likely, showcase our skilled, advanced actors tackling this challenging material and shining in the best way possible.”

Audition materials and other information will be uploaded on the Theatre Arts Program website by Wednesday, Dec. 5. The play will run on March 7, 8, 9, 14, and 16 at 7:00 p.m in the Black Box.