Swallowed up by Life of Pi the movie

Swallowed up by Life of Pi the movie

Based off  of the  popular novel  “Life of Pi”  by Yann Martel, the major, motion picture “Life of Pi”  is about a 16-year-old Indian boy named Piscine “Pi” Molitor Patel (Suraj Sharma) who becomes  the only survivor after a shipwreck in the Pacific Ocean . Pi is thrown onto a life raft, left to fend for himself  alongside an orangutan, hyena, zebra and a Bengal tiger.

Sharma was incredible. He was perfect for the role of Pi. For example, when Pi is in the first in the raft he is screaming hysterically and Sharma had all the emotion Pi is supposed to have. Sharma had all the  intensity and power the character has in the book. Pi goes through things we could never imagine, such as, hunger and fear of being eaten by a tiger. Sharma portrayed those emotional experiences beautifully.

Like many movies, the director couldn’t include every detail  from the book. Still, I think the movie could have gone into more depth. “Life of Pi” could have shown more of what Pi goes through. However, at the end, I thought to myself, “I want to watch that again.”  

“I would describe the movie as being a ‘limp  handshake’ missing the depth and complexity of the novel. The visuals were delightful, but the content  left me longing for a richer adaption,” Graeme Sandell, Rosemont Middle School language arts teacher said.

I loved it and I appreciated having an adult Pi explain moments that I knew would confuse those who have not read the book or needed a refresher. There were a few times where I felt that adult Pi could have gone into further explanation. I would give this movie a B+ because an important part from  the book was cut short. “Life of Pi “is rated PG  for  emotional content  and some scary action sequences.