Spoons serves satisfying soups to hungry stomachs

Fairly understated, but very clean and decorated with inviting warm browns and deep greens, the food cart, Spoons, was just what I was looking for.  Their menu was large enough to provide options, but small enough that the choice was not overwhelming.  Prices for soup ranged from $3.50 to $4 and from $4 to $5 for salads and wraps.

The service was quite pleasant and when I wanted to tweak an item from the menu, they clarified what I wanted and made it exactly to my liking in only a few minutes.  I ordered the southwest chicken wrap without onions or mushrooms.  It was a salad in a whole-wheat tortilla with chunks of grilled white meat chicken, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, crisp chopped romaine lettuce and a sprinkling of finely shredded Parmesan cheese.  All of the ingredients were combined in the ideal ratio to one another, and they didn’t skimp on the chicken.  They were obviously concerned about making the best wrap they could, not the most cost-effective wrap.  I’m not even a salad person, and I really enjoyed it.  The food tasted very clean and crisp, and delightfully refreshing.  Nothing seemed like it had been sitting around.

For those who like something to wash down their meal, Spoons offered a variety of beverages such as the traditional juice, water and soda, but also things such as Pellegrino limonade and Canada Dry.  Spoons did not serve desserts, but if you wanted a little something sweet they offered York Peppermint Patties.  They really had all their bases covered.  I was very impressed and pleased with my experience, and would highly recommend Spoons to anyone who finds themselves wandering through Downtown Portland at mealtime.

Spoons is located on SW 5th and Oak/Alder Parking Lot and is open Mon-Fri 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.