When at Euro Dish, “eur” in heaven

Finding the food cart was probably the biggest hassle we had to undergo when we decided to eat at Euro Dish. We walked around for four blocks before winding up in the same place we had started, and saw that the cart was where we had first started searching. It had a tiny neon sign on its window, which was sheltered by a little roof.

The woman inside, Lydia, was very nice in taking our orders; she smiled sincerely the entire time. The prices were equally friendly. Despite the large portion sizes, nothing went over $9. Potato dumplings with your choice of filling, crepes, schnitzel, and paprikash were just a few of the exceptionally tasty looking items on the menu.

I didn’t want to spend much money, so I ordered six potato and cheese dumplings, which you can order in quantities of either six or nine of. Six of them cost only $4.50, while nine cost $6. The six dumplings which I received were larger than I had expected, nearly half the size of my fist. Such a low price for so much food seemed like a pretty good deal.

The dumplings were served with a large dollop of thick sour cream, a lot better than the regular stuff you dip chips in. The food itself didn’t look very appealing; the sour cream on top of the blobby dumplings actually looked unappetizing. But it smelled good, so that coaxed me into eating it. It tasted much better than it looked. I had ordered potato and cheese dumplings, the plainest ingredients I could have chosen. The pasta dough casing of the dumpling was firmer than it looked, which was comforting to me, because slimy pasta disgusts me. The stuffing was delicious; you couldn’t differentiate between the cheese and the potato because they were blended so perfectly, which I have found isn’t always the case with potato dumplings.

I was also given a dumpling that I hadn’t ordered on accident, and it wasn’t very good. It had cabbage and some other not so tasty ingredients, and I regret eating it. Despite my order having been partially wrong by giving me a different kind of dumpling I would say the service, the food, and the atmosphere was pleasant and welcoming, and I would rate it 4.5 stars.

Euro dish is located on SW 10th and Alder in downtown Portland, and is open 11am – 6pm Monday through Friday