West linn lions girls golf keeps rolling through the competition

With a strong chance of winning the class 6A state title the West Linn Girl’s Varsity Golf Team has taken the Three Rivers league by storm winning each league match and is favored to win the district title and advance to State.

“This year’s team is blessed with great depth in ability,” Bob Turnquist, head coach, said. “We have nine girls who have the potential to play varsity.  Our weakness is our lack of experience because we are such a young team.”

Yesterday at the district championship Sarah Archuleta, junior, Kristin Elich, junior, Amanda Elich, freshman,Kirbi Havemann, senior, and Chloe Barnes, freshman, propelled the team towards another Three Rivers League district title with a team score of 309, a season low score. Kristin Elich carded a low score of 71 and Sarah Archuleta scored a 73. The team is favored to win the district tournament which concludes today, May 7.

Highlights of the season include the April 29 Oregon Golf Club match where the team shot an event low score of 326. Archuleta led the team to a victory in the final league match by shooting an event low score of 76.

At Langdon Farms Golf Club in Aurora on April 22 the team was led again by Archuleta who has the lowest score of the event at 73, only two over the par of the entire course. The team  shot a collective score of 330.

The Oswego Lake Country Club match held on April 15 saw Kristin Elich score an 81 leading the team to another victory.

The team traveled to Arrowhead Country Club in Molalla on April 8 where Archuleta’s score of 73 won individual honors and paced the Lions to victory.

The second match of the season saw the team win at Oregon City’s Stone Creek Golf Club on April 1. The Elichs led the team to victory and tied for second overall in individual competition with a score of 80.

The team started off the season at Willamette Valley Country Club on March 18 with Archuleta who led all individual golfers with her low score of 77. Kristin Elich finished the round in second place with 80.

Despite all of the team’s victories this year, Turnquist wants everyone to keep an eye on a bigger prize.

“I have coached for 20 years and I am continually reminded that coaching is not about wins or losses, but about the lasting relationships you build,” Turnquist said.

The OSAA 6A State Championship match is May 13 and May 14 at Quail Valley Golf Course in Banks.