WLHSnow

Breaking records

Marvel does it again, releasing their most successful film yet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breaking records

The 19th film in the franchise, “Avengers: Infinity War” is already the most successful after only one weekend in theaters.

Brooke McKelvey

Brooke McKelvey

Brooke McKelvey

If you didn’t see “Avengers: Infinity War” over the weekend, chances are it’s already been spoiled for you from whispers in the hallways. With ticket sales surpassing every movie that came before it, Marvel and non-Marvel alike, “Infinity War” is not only the top movie of the weekend, but perhaps ever.

The 19th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “Infinity War” has the largest cast compared to the previous 18 films, a factor that made audience members hesitant before seeing it. With so many storylines crossing over, nobody was quite sure how Marvel was going to tie it all together, but they did, exceeding all expectations.

The main villain in this film is Thanos, played by Josh Brolin, who has been hinted at in the past few movies. His goal is to collect the six infinity stones that were scattered across the universe at the time of the Big Bang. Once the stones are in his possession, Thanos wants to eliminate half of the universe in order to make room in our over populated state.

Like Killmonger, the villain in Marvel’s “Black Panther,” Thanos honestly believes that killing is the right thing to do. Following him in this twisted state, the movie takes on a darker tone than any of the previous movies. He will not hold back from removing anything or anyone in his path, and audience members are on edge the whole time knowing that anything could happen.

Although this is Marvel’s darkest film, there is still a humorous tone underlying it. Characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy bring the humor that made their solo movie famous and Marvel doesn’t fail to incorporate their one-line jokes that will make anyone laugh no matter the circumstances.

This movie pulled audiences in under the pretense of excitement and action, and left them in confusion and desire for the next one. Being part one, it ended in a cliffhanger that has everyone counting down the days until part two. Since they’ll have to wait until next year, however, fans will have to pass the time sharing theories and predictions.

Their ability to bring together over 20 of the biggest names in the MCU and still maintain a successful film composition proves that Marvel isn’t done yet. With such success of late, many are just waiting for Marvel to make the slightest slip-up, but they show no signs of backing down.

Following “Infinity War,” Marvel will release “Ant-Man and the Wasp” this summer, and “Captain Marvel” and “Infinity War Part 2” in 2019. From there, any future movies are up in the air, but there is no doubt that fans will continue to support this franchise for years to come.

Brooke McKelvey, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Going from soccer practice, to softball practice and then finally home to practice her trumpet, Brooke McKelvey, senior, is definitely not a lazy person....

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

7 tracks, 21 Minutes of Solid Gold

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

A new holiday favorite

• Arts and Culture

Understanding music tastes

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

Gen Z might just save music

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

A feel good holiday movie with a message

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

Oscar ‘gold’?

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

Shining a light on student musicians

• Arts and Culture

Making music

• Breaking records

Arts and Culture

Students decorate porches for homecoming week

Breaking records