WLHSnow

Identifying the Outdoors

AP Environmental Science students venture outside of the classroom to identify birds and learn plant species.

On a shuttle field trip to Browns Ferry Park in Tualatin, the AP Environmental Science class learns about native plants. Jim Hartmann, AP Envi Sci teacher, hold up a plant the students are trying to identify. The class is in a plant and bird identification unit and takes to the outdoors to learn plant and bird names.

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

As soon as everyone got off the bus, Jim Hartmann points out a plant species the students will need to know for the class.

One of the draws to the class is that learning doesn’t just happen in the classroom. “I enjoy having the opportunity to go enjoy what nature has to offer with my friends,” Cody Fretwell, 12 said. “Mr. Hartmann and Mr. Davies teach us a lot about simple things that we take for granted.”

As they look out onto the pond, students try to identify different duck species in the pond. Browns Ferry Park is one of the few maintained wetlands in Tualatin and attracts many kinds of ducks and other birds.

Out in nature, Jim Hartmann praises Jen Metza, 12 for correctly identifying a plant based on its leaf. The group ventured off the trail in order to find more plant species.

One of the most popular ducks at Browns Ferry Park is the mallard duck.

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Finals are here

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Grad requirements force creativity

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Graduation requirements add pressure for taking electives

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Saving the Bees

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Relaxing your mind

• Academics

Just duet

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Singing Traditions

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Secret Singer

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Don’t feel ode

• Identifying the Outdoors

Current Events

District names new principal

Identifying the Outdoors