WLHSnow

Identifying the Outdoors

AP Environmental Science students venture outside of the classroom to identify birds and learn plant species.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Identifying the Outdoors

On a shuttle field trip to Browns Ferry Park in Tualatin, the AP Environmental Science class learns about native plants. Jim Hartmann, AP Envi Sci teacher, hold up a plant the students are trying to identify. The class is in a plant and bird identification unit and takes to the outdoors to learn plant and bird names.

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

As soon as everyone got off the bus, Jim Hartmann points out a plant species the students will need to know for the class.

One of the draws to the class is that learning doesn’t just happen in the classroom. “I enjoy having the opportunity to go enjoy what nature has to offer with my friends,” Cody Fretwell, 12 said. “Mr. Hartmann and Mr. Davies teach us a lot about simple things that we take for granted.”

As they look out onto the pond, students try to identify different duck species in the pond. Browns Ferry Park is one of the few maintained wetlands in Tualatin and attracts many kinds of ducks and other birds.

Out in nature, Jim Hartmann praises Jen Metza, 12 for correctly identifying a plant based on its leaf. The group ventured off the trail in order to find more plant species.

One of the most popular ducks at Browns Ferry Park is the mallard duck.

Emily Martin, Yearbook and Broadcast Editor-in-Chief

Sophisticated, yet fun-loving, Emily Martin, 12 is always looking ahead.

“This year I committed to the University of Montana for their Communications...

• Academics

Brady and Eric McDevitt Thanksgiving StoryCore Interview

• Academics

Extracurriculars: becoming more fun or stressful?

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

A discussion about concussions

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Seniors graduate

• Academics

What SafeOregon is and what they do

• Academics

Top ideas for gap years

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Race to raise: The Amazing Race

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Academic seminar

• Academics

New part of photo studio

• Identifying the Outdoors

Academics

Self awareness in high school

Identifying the Outdoors