“Take Care” – 2011

February 26, 2020

Artist: Drake

Album: “Take Care”

Best Hype Track: “Headlines”

Song to Bump in Your Feelings: “Marvins Room”

If a single artist ruled the 2010s, it would be no one other than the Champagnepapi himself, Drizzy Drake. Dominating the charts over the entire decade was no difficult feat for Drake, and his 2012 album “Take Care” was proof. This album has had a lasting effect on hip hop and its involvement in R&B, along with the newfound sensitivity of mainstream rappers. Drake opened up and spoke about his emotions and vulnerabilities in a new way, helping to usher in the “sad” or emo-rap wave that many artists have ridden. 

Specifically, in the track “Marvins Room” whereupon an ambient instrumental, Drake drunkenly calls his ex and asks for her to abandon her new boyfriend and return to him. While other rappers would have used this scene to “get the girl back,” Drake is played for a fool, ending up only sad and alone. 

Many other instances on the album continue this “sad” theme, but “Take Care” still contains undeniable bangers, such as “Headlines”  and “HYFR,” where Drake is seen at a much more lively and charismatic moment. Since 2011 Drake has become an icon for his influence alone, and much of it traces back to here

.