WLHSnow

Theater never rests

The spring play premieres this Friday

Photo Courtesy of Brady McDevitt
Cast members Zebe Loun, senior, and Brady McDevitt, junior, run through one of their final rehearsals of the spring play,

Photo Courtesy of Brady McDevitt Cast members Zebe Loun, senior, and Brady McDevitt, junior, run through one of their final rehearsals of the spring play, "The Provoked Wife." The play premieres this Friday and continues through next week.

Understanding Shakespeare in English class is a challenge for many people, but the theater department is taking it one step further with their upcoming performance of “The Provoked Wife,” a play written just after Shakespeare’s time.

The play follows Sir John, a heavy drinker and verbally abusive husband, and Lady Brute, an unhappy wife. The amount of scandalous relationships increase as the two start to flirt around with others. Soon, a majority of the cast finds themselves involved with someone new.

“I help Lady Brute out with her guy troubles while gaining some myself,” junior Brady McDevitt, who plays Lady Brute’s niece Bellinda, said.

Since the play was written over 300 years ago, the cast has had to adjust to the different times. From wearing a corset to remembering a courtesy bow, the cast has been working hard at truly understanding their characters.

“We have to understand what we’re saying and trying to convey so the audience understands too,” senior Linda Snyder, who plays Lady Brute, said.

Going from playing Morticia Addams in the fall musical, “The Addams Family,” to playing Lady Brute in the current production, Snyder has had to make some changes.

“This is such a new feel of theater for everyone, especially with the language,” Snyder said.

With all of the extra time it took, however, “The Provoked Wife” is bound to be a cast favorite.

“It’s such a visually pleasing show,” Snyder said. “It completely focuses on set design, costumes and makeup.”

The show premieres Fri. March 3 and will have performances throughout the following week. Once “The Provoked Wife” finishes up, the theater department will begin work with the middle school musical and Shorts 18.

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Theater’s quest

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Static Spider-Man

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Slashing Cliches; A Cabin in the Woods Review

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Teacher Appreciation Week

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

What Makes Life Worthwhile?

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Changing the universe

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Four plays for Shorts 18

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Like Hayao, like Goro

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Next group of thespians makes debut at Middle School Musical

• Theater never rests

Arts and Culture

Ridiculously racist

Theater never rests