60 minutes with Brian Monihan

It’s official. The West Linn Tidings and the Amplifier are teaming up.

Today in second period, Brian Monihan, Vice President of the West Linn Tidings, spoke to the school’s Journalism class regarding a newly formed coalition between the two newspapers. The two papers will now share links on each other’s websites, and staff reporters will work together to attain the most accurate information possible.

In addition, Monihan spoke about the future of journalism and how it pertains to local newspapers. Despite much talk about newspapers being in potential danger of technology advancements, Monihan feels that papers like the Amplifier and Tidings are destined to survive.

“The future of journalism is in small, local newspapers like the West Linn Tidings and the Amplifier,” Monihan said. “You guys are the best source of communication from a local standpoint.”

Along with talking about the future of journalism, Monihan spoke of his standpoint on reporting for local tabloids.

“A newspaper sometimes has to take a hard line,” Monihan said. “But it’s a little more personal in a small town like this, and you have to be proactive about getting information from both sides. A writer must keep in mind, ‘what is in the best interest of the community as a whole?’”

Today’s speech allowed many of the staff members to gain more insight about journalism from a man who has been in the business for over 15 years.

“I had always taken for granted the fact that local newspapers are the best source to stay in touch with the community,” Derek Fieldhouse, staff reporter, said. “This whole presentation made me realize how important we are as a student newspaper.”