Speech and Debate takes State

The teamwork of the Speech and Debate team showed in the many honors and awards they earned at the State Championship. Elise Brown, senior captain, credits the whole team for its success.

“We have had an unbelievable season, and the victories we’ve had do not exclusively belong to the people who take the trophies home,” Brown said.

At the tournament  held at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Ore., Hunter Bosson, junior, and Brown were one of the top 16 Parliamentary Debate teams in the state of Oregon. Joe Erickson, freshman, and Brown reached the semifinals for Duo Interpretation. Brown also took first place in Original Oratory, bringing home the state title in that division.

“We spent hours in the dance room and we were in constant communication to work on new ideas,” Erickson said.

Although they have won team medals, that isn’t the highest priority of this team.

“I love the shiny things the most,” Erickson jokes. “No, I really love the friendships made and the new people I met.”

“I have learned and grown so much as a competitor, leader, and critical thinker. I am so, so grateful for every competitor, coach, volunteer, mentor, teammate, and friend I have had along the way. Thank you for building me.” Brown said.

State was the end of a great season for the WLHS Speech and Debate team. Even though Brown is going on to Wellesley College in Massachusetts after graduation, her heart remains with the Speech and Debate team here at WLHS.

“It’s really cool to see what can come from dedication and hard work. My high school Speech and Debate career has been nothing short of incredible,” Brown said. “I cannot wait to hear about how incredible my team’s future seasons will be, because of the excellence this team so amazingly continues to show and the support our community so generously continues to provide.”

On April 27, at the team’s first annual showcase and fundraiser, the team earned almost $200. The team plans to use the money next year to attend more tournaments.