Brick shatters window of Democratic Building

Unknown suspect throws brick through window of Clackamas county democratic headquarters
Courtesy of the Clackamas County Democratic Party.
On Aug. 30, a brick shattered the Clackamas County Democratic Headquarters

On the night of Aug. 30 along Main Street, Oregon City, an unknown suspect threw a brick through the window of the Clackamas County Democratic headquarters. 

Sami Edge reported on the incident for the Oregonian. 

“It shattered a full wall-sized window right in front of cutouts of presidents Barack Obama and Joe Biden, and Vice President Kamala Harris,” Edge wrote

Cris Waller, Party Chair, talked about the incident to the Oregonian.

No other businesses nearby had damage, the brick that broke the window was carried from somewhere offsite; it doesn’t match any of the nearby buildings,” Waller said. “This kind of violence is the kind of thing that makes people afraid to participate in the political discourse.”

This event is concerning for some like Brody Olson, sophomore,  an Associated Student Body (ASB) officer.

“It definitely concerns me. In the sense that, people [might not be] confident to share their opinions or stand up for what they know, what they believe in or is right,” Olson said. “We can’t really confirm yet whether they were trying to communicate anything, it could have just been a rash decision, made in hatred.”

Some students believe there shouldn’t be violence in discourse like Hailey Diehl, sophomore. She has drawn historical comparisons to convey her argument.

“Let’s not resort to violence, it’s politics, we’re supposed to be talking,” said Diehl. “I was just researching the Bleeding Kansas situation in the 1850’s, so it’s kinda like that. People are just mad at each other.”

A second incident occurred September 19, twice in a single month. The police responded to a call of vandalism and criminal mischief at 10:10 a.m. to find one of the windows of the Clackamas County Democratic Headquarters building was damaged. The damage is believed to have been done by a pellet shooter or BB gun., damaging a window showing an American flag behind its glass.

Marie Karns, second vice chairwoman for the Clackamas County Democratic party commented on the second incident.

“I just hope we can find out who’s doing this because it’s just really scary,” Karns said.

The case is still ongoing. The Clackamas County Police Department is currently investigating the incident, and police have not publically released statements about a suspect or an arrest made at this time.

The Clackamas county police department wants anyone with information on these cases of vandalism to call 503-905-3505 about case number 23-019536.