What to know about the latest clothes shopping app

Everything to know about Temu
Lina Corona
Temu has many clothing options with various deal for the customer.

Temu has changed the shopping game. According to Lengow blog, Temu is ranked first in the US Shopping Apps. Temu was launched in late August 2022. They got recognition as their advertising was spread through social media andgained popularity as social media influencers raved about the new app. 

The app was first advertised as “a game to win free gifts,” and this became an attention grabber as it was cheap and “legit.” Temu shipped their items straight from Chinese companies. 

However, there have been complaints about this app such as stealing card information, packages not getting delivered, and child labor. Since Temu is based in China, different laws and security measurements are making it easier to steal card information. 

Temu has multiple sellers using the Temu app to sell their products. According to AP News, Temu has over 100,000 merchants based in China. Because China is heavily populated, it makes it harder to track someone down if they stole your card information. There have been rumors that it was under investigation by the US government. 

Not to mention, there were six ads shown for Temu in the Super Bowl, from the kick-off through the post-game show. Some wondered how Temu could afford so many Super Bowl ads if they were known to be selling inexpensive products.

A big factor that Temu used to allegedly take advantage of its customers and marketing was considering inflation has been growing since the company was launched. Their strategy was to make everything extremely cheap so customers quickly become addicted since shoppers can find the same thing from Amazon on Temu for a quarter of the price. 

With inflation, people were more willing to buy from Temu and take the risk of potential credit card fraud. Currently, Temu has at least 6 billion dollars. Temu doesn’t limit the products they sell. Items include hair pieces, technology, clothing, toys, and furniture. 

According to Temu, they claim that their supply train runs directly from consumers to sellers, avoiding a middleman. 

In an article by Bluemarble by Hope O’Dell, Hoda Kateb, an Iranian American writer, discussed the issue. 

“Another way companies like Shein and Temu keep their prices low is by using garment workers, typically from SouthEast Asia, who work long hours for low pay and typically without an employment contract,” Kateb said. “The compressed trend cycles of fast fashions lend to exploiting workers.” 

Kaitlyn Falcon, junior,  shares her friend’s mom’s experience and why she doesn’t trust Temu. 

“I don’t trust it, seems too good to be true…My friend’s mom recently got scammed from Temu, her credit card got frozen and her package never came.” Falcon said.

Many have had their concerns and always seemed to think it was too sketchy. Most people, like Falcon, don’t even try shopping there as they don’t want to risk it.