West Linn boys lacrosse team sets forth on a season full of high hopes

Always in the upper echelon of its sport, the boys lacrosse team is starting the season with expectations fitting for its spot in the state’s elite. Despite graduating ten seniors, Kevin Cathcart, senior attackman, predicts nothing but the best in regard to the goals his squad, who he is a captain of, has set.

“Win State, and I don’t say that as a cliche answer,” he said. “I honestly think if we are not a contender for the State Championship we underachieved.”

The team worked in the offseason to fulfill these lofty goals. The Lions conditioned often and any chance they were given, participated in open fields organized by the seniors. Last season, the team fell in the second round of playoffs to Wilsonville 8-7. This conclusion did not sit well with returning players.

“Last year was ended by an embarrassing loss to a team we should have beaten, so I think this year we are going to come out much more fired up and ready to play,” Cathcart, said.

Filling the holes of the graduated seniors a group made up of numerous talented underclassmen and some first time seniors, according to Cathcart.

“Two notable first year Varsity athletes this year are Ian Anderson, sophomore attackman, who is going to start this year, and Elijah Eaton, who is a first year senior and might be the most athletic kid on the team,” Cathcart said.

One game in, the Lions have already started off the season with a little bit of revenge. The team defeated Wilsonville 10-8 on March 16.

“As always Lakeridge, Lincoln and LO are our biggest competition this year, but I truly believe we could beat all three of them this year,” Cathcart said. The Lions will be given a chance to prove him right when they face off against Lincoln at home tonight. The game will start at 8 p.m.