The Wrestling team wins 60—18 on senior night

Garrett Arendt
George Kovchegov greets his wrestling coaches during senior night ahead of the match against the Oregon City Pioneers.

To commemorate seniors on sports teams at the school, the last varsity home game is dedicated to the seniors. On Feb. 2, located in the main gym, was the wrestling team’s senior night against the Oregon City Pioneers. The Lions won 60—18.

Charlie Spinning, senior, was one of the seniors celebrated. Henry Dillingham, Colby Cook, George Kovchegov, Ghani Tremazi, and JC Kouame, all seniors, were also celebrated.

“I’m just happy for the whole community, and all the support we have. I’m very grateful,” Spinning said.

Last year, the wrestling team won the 6A OSAA State Championship, with Kovchegov being a part of the state championship title.

“[It] feels really good to be here and I’m super grateful for the opportunity to be on this team,  it was pretty awesome,” Kov said. “It kinda changed my life to be on this team, and it hits you hard, your last game and stuff.”

Seven of the 14 played matches ended in a fall with four weight classes ending in a forfeit. Spinning won by fall in 42 seconds, Max Bell, freshman, won by fall in 39 seconds, and Ryder White, junior, won by fall in 28 seconds.

“It just makes me happy,” Cook said. “It’s not even about me, it’s about the team, and I’m just happy I get to wrestle with each and every one of these guys every day.”

The wrestling team’s next meet is the Three Rivers League district meet for a spot in state  on Feb. 17 at Lakeridge High School. The varsity team will compete at 6:30 p.m.

Spinning thinks patience and focus are key factors for himself and the team in their matches.

“Just focus and keep wrestling,” Spinning said. “Focus on the next score and the next point and keep pressure on them.”