The mens basketball team defeats Lakeridge Pacers for second time this year

By beating Lakeridge 73—62, the mens team now has five league wins
Vialva%E2%80%99s+shot.+Wyatt+Smiley%2C+junior%2C+Alarion+Scott%2C+freshman%2C+Cole+Dickson%2C+sophomore%2C+and+Warren+Staton%2C+junior%2C+all+stand+up+to+celebrate+Pat+Vialva%E2%80%99s+made+basket+in+the+fourth+quarter.+
Autumn Schmidlin
Vialva’s shot. Wyatt Smiley, junior, Alarion Scott, freshman, Cole Dickson, sophomore, and Warren Staton, junior, all stand up to celebrate Pat Vialva’s made basket in the fourth quarter.

The mens basketball team now has four games left in the regular season. After defeating the Lakeridge Pacers 73-62, the mens basketball team has a league record of five wins and two losses. Overall, they had 11 wins and 10 losses, at this point.

Currently ranked 19th according to Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA), the team played Lakeridge Pacers, who were ranked 27th by OSAA. Starting out the first quarter, the Pacers had a lead of 15-19, but the Lions came back, with the winning score being 73-62. 

Pat Vialva Jr., freshman, scored 16 points and Nick DiGullio, senior, scored 15 points.

“It’s great when we come out as a team so we got the job done,” Vialva said. “We listened to [the] coach’s game plan and we were moving the ball, we got 22 assists as a team. So I think we were a great team [and] we came out strong, I thought it was a good game.”

The team has three more league games and one more non-league game in the season. The next league games are against Tigard, Tualatin, and Oregon City. Tigard is ranked 43, Tualatin is ranked sixth, and Oregon City is ranked 11th, all according to OSAA.

“I think [if] we come out with the same intensity as we had today, [such as] very strong box-outs, [we will] lift each other up,” Vialva said. “Last game we were a little like ‘I miss shots’ and stuff like that. We were getting down in our own heads. The next Tualatin game, [we want to] come out strong and win it. Oregon City, just the same thing, strong and just play great defense and box-out.” 

To keep their win streak alive, the men’s team defeated the Mountainside Mavericks, previously ranked 12th in the state, 82-58 on Feb. 14. Their record is now 12 wins and 10 losses.

Their next game will be against the Tigard Tigers at Tigard High School on Feb. 16.