Featuring the counseling office

Marlo Matin and Rick Ruddell share what it means to be school counselors
Lauren Sexton
New school counselor Rick Ruddell is located in room G120 in the main office.

There are several new staff members this year at the high school, including Rick Ruddell, counselor for students with last names starting from letters Mf—Se. Ruddell joined the staff this year as Greg Bean, a previous counselor, is continuing his career at Riverside High School. Before taking the position, Ruddell graduated from Gonzaga University. 

“I was in my senior year of college and I had to do a project on the use of counseling theories in different settings,” Ruddell said. “I was randomly assigned to do mine on the setting of school counseling and I thought, ‘This is kind of cool and maybe I should do this for a career.’ And seven months later I was in grad school for it.”

This is Ruddell’s eighth year counseling as he previously worked at Newport High School in Newport, Oregon, and Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose, California. Ruddell was also involved in summer camps where he was a camp counselor.

“I love puzzles and logic problems and figuring out schedules, colleges that fit, and just trying to make things work,” Ruddell said. “I also love to talk and [I] view myself as a naturally empathetic and caring person, so this was a good fit and role for who I am as a person. So, I came to West Linn and knew it was going to be challenging but fulfilling.”

Bean had been a part of the high school staff since 2000, and is currently the only counselor at Riverside.

“I hope to pick up where Greg Bean left off and not let anyone slip through the cracks,” Ruddell said. “You’re always nervous meeting new staff, a new school, and finding out a new school culture, but everything I’ve felt and experienced so far has been encouraging, supportive, and accepting and that’s been incredible.”

Another counselor working at the high school is Marlo Matin. This is Matin’s third year as a counselor. Previously, she was an English teacher for 20 years, a journalism teacher, a National Honor Society (NHS) adviser, and an ASB adviser. Throughout these jobs, Matin has worked with thousands of students.

You’re always nervous meeting new staff, a new school, and finding out a new school culture, but everything I’ve felt and experienced so far has been encouraging, supportive, and accepting and that’s been incredible.

— Rick Ruddell

“It was a really exciting change to my career path,” Matin said. “It was a steeper curve than I thought it would be, switching from teaching to counseling. I love working with students and have always been working with kids in different capacities other than teaching.”

Before graduating from University of Oregon and Lewis and Clark College, Matin managed a health club, had a catering business, and interned at Channel Two. In her early 30s, Matin obtained her masters degree in teaching from Lewis and Clark College and is currently completing her degree in counseling. With this experience, she and the staff hope to assist students in completing their high school career.

“We are really looking to make sure students are credit full and they’re passing all their classes,” Matin said. “Figuring out how we can support students who aren’t passing but are still coming to school and what the roadblocks are is something we are always striving for and making sure that every student is passing and is on track to graduate.”

Counselors are provided by the school system to help students with any issues they may be facing at the high school. Throughout Matin’s three years, she has learned what qualities go into becoming a counselor. 

“I’ve learned that there is usually something more to the story. Before you say ‘No, we can’t do that’ you have to really listen to the whole story,” Matin said. “People ultimately have the best intentions and believing they are doing the best they can at that exact moment is pretty important.”

After all of Matins experience at West Linn, she has witnessed challenges and particular moments in students’ careers.

“It’s so much fun working with the students and seeing them have these incredible successes and reach their goals, like getting into the colleges they wanted to or graduating early is really rewarding as a counselor,” Matin said. “Helping them solve problems even through tougher times like after [COVID-19] and working towards future goals is what makes counseling important.”