Speech and Debate team is nationals bound

Two members on the Speech and Debate team qualified for nationals, other members are preparing to potentially do the same
G
Currently, two members on the Speech and Debate team are qualified to attend Nationals in June.

On Feb. 24 at Sam Barlow High School, the Speech and Debate team participated in the Congressional Debate to potentially qualify for nationals. Congressional Debate is a debate that mimics Congress because it consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate. Due to the over 20 competition categories overall, the competition to qualify for nationals is split between two weekends, and the second phase is on March 23. 

At the congressional debate, the team sent around eight students who spoke in the Northern Oregon District. There, students in the House and Senate were required to give speeches either rejecting or promoting a bill proposed to a group of 20-30 participants. Judges score students on the quality of the speech given and the leadership exercised. 

Out of the 50 students who competed that day, six will go to nationals, with two being West Linn representatives. 

Abbie Wu, freshman, scored high enough to go to nationals in the Senate category, and Anwesha Chowdhury, sophomore, made it in the House. This is the first time in several years that the school has had someone qualify for nationals. The most recent qualifier was Dennis Tang, alumni of 2019. Nationals will occur from June 16-21 in Des Moines, Iowa. 

“I was in shock because I honestly did not expect it,” Wu said. “A couple of my friends were joking that I was going to make it but it was surprising and it just feels surreal.”

Wu had limited experience before joining the Speech and Debate team, considering middle schools do not have it as an activity.

“I thought it sounded cool in middle school and I think I joined [in high school] to improve my public speaking skills,” Wu said. “I’ve learned there’s a lot of elements that go into it, like trying to seem smart to the judges and being confident, and a lot of that comes with the preparation.” 

Overseeing registration and coaching the 50 members of the team is Michael Sugar, history teacher. Sugar was a member of Speech and Debate while attending Sheldon High School and became the head coach for West Linn last November. Amarou Yoder, English teacher, is the current assistant coach but was the original head coach before Sugar took over. Jennifer Spencer-Iams is the assistant superintendent who also helps students prepare. 

This is West Linn’s first year participating in Student Congress, and the idea sparked from Griffin Childs, sophomore. Their first Student Congress competition was at Clackamas High School in December, which Chowdhury and Wu attended. 

“[Chowdhury] works really hard and she puts in a lot of work to research topics as well as forms of debate and public speaking and practices her craft in many arenas,” Sugar said. “And [Wu], along with the whole team, is the same way.”

On March 15, multiple Speech and Debate members attended districts, when members prepared to either qualify for nationals or state. 

“Only ten people are trying to go to nationals but not everyone wants to spend $2,000 to go,” Sugar said. “So I’ve got different groups coming on different days of the week, but it’s like you’re getting ready to open a play and you just have to continue rehearsing.”

The Speech and Debate team meets after school every Monday and Wednesday in room A206.

“We are excited for districts and nationals and it’s an honor and a hard-fought battle,” Sugar said.