Sofia Gomez and Jonathan Garcia named Homecoming royalty

Joseph Murphy
Last night, Sofia Gomez and Jonathan Garcia were named Homecoming royalty.

At last night’s football game, the Homecoming royalty was announced. Throughout the past week, seniors were able to vote on a senior Homecoming court, which was announced at the assembly on Wednesday. 

The senior Homecoming court featured Thabela Fashu-Kanu, Jonathan Garcia, Beatrice Gilroy, Sofia Gomez, Myrtle Guarisco, and Melissa Reyes, all seniors. 

During halftime, the royalty announcement was made. Out of the six contestants, Garcia and Gomez got the most votes, thus making them Homecoming royalty. From the start, Garcia and Gomez wanted to be Homecoming royalty together.

“It was just a lot of excitement,” Garcia said. “Hearing both our names was [exciting]. I don’t know what I was feeling but it just felt so good.”

Gomez has been involved at the school through Thespians and being an officer for the National Honor Society (NHS), and Garcia has been involved at the school through the Teen Advisory Board (TAB).

“I feel like it really means that we are representatives of West Linn, and we really do work hard,” Gomez said. “Both of us are really involved students and we just try to make the community a better place [in] many different ways. It just shows that people see that and recognize that and that’s a big deal.”

During the halftime or the football game, Homecoming courts from other grades were also commemorated. The freshman Homecoming court featured Abigail Farris and Carter Manning while the the sophomore court had Brody Olson and Audrey Krake. Lastly, the junior court featured Christopher Buttson and Steven Walker.

Additionally, the football team defeated the Tualatin Timberwolves 37-0. This is the second year in a row where the football team won the annual Homecoming game.

Tomorrow, the Homecoming dance will be held at the school from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Gomez and Garcia will be leading the dance.