Travis Scott’s triumphant return with “Utopia” gives hip-hop a rejuvenation

Frank Schwichtenberg
Travis Scott’s recent album “Utopia” has a backstory that dates back to June. Travis Scott – Openair Frauenfeld 2019 02 by Frank Schwichtenberg is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 DEED.

After countless delays and controversial headlines, Travis Scott made his triumphant return with his long awaited album “Utopia”. During the summer of 2020, Scott began to tease the project. His previous album “Astroworld” reached heights unimaginable. With high acclaim amongst critics and the general public alike, the anticipation for another full length Travis Scott project was at an all time high. 

Between the five year drought of “Utopia” and “Astroworld”, Scott did suffice fans with the “Jackboysmixtape in 2019, which was a collaboration between artists on Cactus Jack Records and various other collaborators. Many of the songs are rumored to have been throwaways off of “Astroworld” or old remixes of vaulted tracks that were revived with features. In 2021, Scott gave fans a taste of Utopia with “Escape Plan” and “Mafia”.

The tracks put solid numbers, but the events at the 2021 “Astroworld” tragedy would swoop its successes under the rug. After the tragedy, Scott kept a low profile and rumors of “Utopia” delays were further murmured after the tragedy among fans.

In June 2022, Scott would do a string of live performances, his first in a year after the “Astroworld” incident. At the O2 in London, he previewed a new track which later would become “God’s Country”. The beat was originally produced by Kanye West, one of Scott’s influences. The eerie and psychedelic sound captivated audiences alike, building further anticipation for the release. 

Later in the summer of 2022, Scott would announce a week-long residence in the Zouk Night Club in Las Vegas, hosting “Road to Utopia” from September 17-24, which was an invite only event where Scott was the DJ and previewed new music.

Last May, photos of Scott wearing an unreleased pair of an Air Jordan 1 sneaker with a presumed “Utopia” logo on the side of the shoe surfaced. His security detail was spotted carrying a brown leather briefcase with the word, “Utopia” inscribed on it. Throughout that week, fellow producer Mike Dean would post a series of Instagram stories confirming the project’s completion. 

On June 15, Travis was spotted leaving the Abbey Road Studios for a photoshoot with the same briefcase. On June 27, “Utopia” billboards were spotted in Los Angeles along with an updated “Utopia” logo on his website and pre-orders for merchandise, vinyl records, and CDs.

Then, July 9, Scott announced a launch event, which would include a live performance of the album at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt. The album would be released that night. However, the plan was thwarted as Live Nation, the production team, came out citing “complex production issues” would put the launch event on hold.

On July 25, Travis tweeted that “Utopia” would be released three days later, along with the trailer.

Finally, after a near five year drought, the wait for “Utopia” was over. With “Utopia” releasing on July 28, it was reported by Spotify that the album had set an all time record for first day streams, with 128 million streams. Apple Music reported similar numbers, topping it as their highest first day streamed album of 2023.

Travis debuted the project at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, with 496,000 units first week sold. The second week he sold 147,000 units remaining at the number one spot. With such high streaming and debut numbers, “Utopia” earned its spot as the highest selling and charting rap project of 2023.

“Utopia” is a departure from the “Astroworld” days of Scott as it takes heavy inspiration from the likes of Kanye West and Frank Ocean, two artists who Travis has revealed he has deep respect for both.

“Utopia” is a fantastic evolution in Scott’s discography. The “Utopia” sound of this dark grunge-psychedelic trap sound serves as something unique to Scott. The clear inspiration from the likes of Frank Ocean and Kanye West is heavily evident on this album, but serves as the right inspiration to convey the themes and message of “Utopia”.

The underlying theme to me is the idea of “Utopia” in general. This perfect place, flawless place or this dream like fantasy land. EThat’s what this album feels like, every song is a ride that is unique but connects to each other in the end. Teaching us each how we can all reach utopia in our own lives.

Scott nailed it out of the park with this album. This is easily one of the best Hip-Hop LPs of the past five years. Dean and Scott have crafted a classic album with “Utopia”. The features list is stacked from top to bottom, yet the album isn’t oversaturated with features. “Utopia” serves as the refreshing reset and breath of quality Hip-Hop that has been lacking for the better part of two years.