Awesome Apps

Quizlet

Google Play Store Rating—4.5 Stars

Price—Free

Available on—Android and iOS

Description/Review:

Need to study the stages of Mitosis for your Biology test? Or maybe it’s the past-tense conjugations of “ir” for that Spanish quiz? No matter the subject, Quizlet is the perfect review app. Quizlet not only allows you to make your own virtual flashcards, but it also gives you access to millions of sets made by other users. If there has ever been a test on it, there are probably Quizlet flashcards for it. The interface is sleek, easy to use and the set searches run fairly fast. Making sets of flashcards isn’t available yet on Android, but you can make a set on your computer and sync it with your mobile Quizlet account. Making flashcards is simple and intuitive, but with the plethora of sets already out there, I find myself using others sets more often than not. It may not beat writing out each note on paper, but it’s as close as you can get, and definitely a step up for the eco-friendly, tech-savvy and note-poachers.

Tricky Tracing

Google Play Store Rating—4.6 stars

Price—Free

Available on—Android

Description/Review

In this app you better have a quick memory and a steady hand, or you’re going to have a hard time. Tricky Tracing is an addictive puzzle game made by Itch Mania. The concept is simple: use your finger to trace a path around obstacles to make your way to the target. However, there is a twist—once you start tracing, the obstacles become invisible. You need to memorize where the obstacles are, and avoid them by all means. Don’t fret; you do receive some help in the form of a metal detector like system that beeps when you find yourself too close to a wall or object. With 150 levels and counting, the game starts off laughably easy, but quickly becomes more and more difficult. Tricky Tracing does include in-app purchases that can help guide you in the case that you really do get stuck on a level, but luckily they aren’t necessary to complete the full game.

Draw Something 2

Google Play Store Rating—4.0 stars

Price—free with ads, $2.99 without

Available on—Android and iOS

Description/Review

If you were a big fan of Draw Something, then you will love the new app, Draw Something 2. Although the opposite also applies, if you didn’t enjoy Draw Something, this game really isn’t much different. Draw Something 2 is essentially mobile Pictionary, one player picks a word and attempts to draw it and the other player uses a pool of letters to try and guess that word. Regardless of your artistic ability, it’s a fun game to play with friends, and pass a little time. Draw Something 2 follows the same exact formula as the original Draw Something, however there are a couple new features. The most important one in my opinion is the addition of several new tools/brushes allowing even more depth to your stick figure drawings. Draw Something 2 has also tried to take on a more social vibe, including a feed where you can follow your friends or celebrities, and see what they are drawing. Overall it is a fun app, though nothing that different from its predecessor. The new tools, and words are definitely a plus, but the feed seems to lag the whole app down, and doesn’t add much to it.