Little sleep affects students health and learning ability

Kids need sleep, and lots of it. So why do schools make them wake up early the one day in the year that they have stayed up until 12 eating candy? Thanksgiving Break we have an entire week off, for Winter Break we have two weeks off, but for some reason, we are only allowed a half day break the day of Halloween, even though kids stay up really late on Halloween night while eating nothing but junk food.

“I felt super sick because I only got about two hours of sleep after hanging out with friends all night, and eating tons of junk food,” Madeline Glass, freshman, said. The day after Halloween, Glass said that she could not concentrate at all, being exhausted and feeling sick to her stomach, but she still had to go to school.

The average amount of sleep in high school is about 6 to 7 hours. The average amount of sleep that teens need to function correctly is about 8 and 1/2 hours, according to the National Sleep Foundation. When teens have to wake up early, their brains don’t function like they normally do. They tend to feel be exhausted for the entire day, sometimes even causing them to fall asleep in class. this could make them not take all the notes they need for a test. Not sleeping enough could damage grades.

Not only does not having enough sleep make people tired, but people can only take in so much information at a time. When kids are tired they can’t take in as much information as they normally can. They cannot recall as much information as they normally would. If students had a test that day, they might not be able to remember all the information.

Why isn’t school cut the day after Halloween? Is it because the limit of non-school days have been exceeded? If so, couldn’t we have 2 less early releases Wednesdays? We could even add an extra day of school to the end of the year. There are lots of ways to not have school on the day after Halloween. Having school the day after Halloween can hurt students’ grades, and it can even make them get sick. That is why they should change the schedule in order to make next year even better.