Megan Riehle

Megan Riehle, Arts and Culture Editor

Lots of people make big plans for their future. Megan Riehle, junior, is one of those people. She aspires to double major in fine arts and English at her dream school, Evergreen in Washington.

Riehle was born in Hawaii and has been in the water since she was an infant. She was outside in nature, exploring for much of her childhood. This inspired her love of marine biology.

Her family engaged her in political and current events conversations from a young age, which sparked her desire to pursue journalism. Seeing as her favorite subject in school has always been English, alongside her desire to provoke conversation and change, Riehle says it seems only fitting that she would go into the field.

“I believe that our most powerful asset is our words and our voice,” Riehle said. “Whether you are a musician, an author or a journalist, the use of your words to inspire change is an incredible thing. I think this gives every person so much power to be the person to make a difference, rather than the person who just sits around watching.”

Riehle has many hobbies including fashion design, music, and art. Regardless of what field she may go into, she says, these are things she will do for fun and to escape the stress of adult life.

“My biggest fear is not accomplishing the things I’ve always dreamed of doing,” Riehle said. “I will do everything in my power to make those things happen for myself. I think the biggest failure would be to settle for something less than what I am capable of.”

All content by Megan Riehle
On a slow day, Trisha Statde works on an art piece to fill the time and keep her inventory stocked.

Painted Earth

Megan Riehle, Arts and Culture Editor
May 7, 2020

Have you ever stumbled upon a painted rock in your neighborhood park? They’re called love rocks. They are meant to provide a spot of love and joy in a person's day when they find one. After finding a...

7 best reading spots

7 best reading spots

Megan Riehle, Arts and Culture Editor
May 4, 2020

While cases of COVID-19 continue to occur and the state of Oregon remains under orders to social distance, there’s a struggle to stay occupied as well as safe. These reading spots are ideal places to...

Sticking it to the man

Megan Riehle, Arts and Culture Editor
April 21, 2020

Beginning mid way through last school year, a student has installed a collection of art celebrating marginalized groups, providing access to mental health support outlets and representing a diverse...

The OSAA has updated their website announcing the cancelation of all winter sports championships due to concerns of COVID-19 outbreaks.

COVID-19 update: district looks to Oregon Health Authority for informed decisions

Megan Riehle, Arts and Culture Editor
March 12, 2020

As rumors and speculations about the COVID-19 virus flow through the school, administration is trying to get an idea of how the district and the state as a whole is going to handle this pandemic in relation...

Hand soap and tissues in the main office.

[Photo] Sanitation supplies update

Remy Gottschling, Coverage Editor
March 12, 2020

Christopher Luchini wears a hat saying “Make Rojava Green Again”. Referring to a movement that is working towards a healthier climate and also supports the revolution taking place in Rojava (The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria).

A gift that gives again

Megan Riehle
January 30, 2020

The Civil Liberties Defense Center (CLDC) is an organization founded in 2003 by Lauren Regan. They work with activists, providing free legal counsel and educational resources to put a stop to social injustice...

School admin provides statement indicating protocol regarding sexual crimes

Megan Riehle
June 16, 2019

On May 31, administration provided a statement outlining school policy and procedure surrounding allegations of sexual assault and sexual harassment. This statement was not able to be included in the previous...

Students walked out of school on Feb. 4 in support of changes to health curriculum.

Students lead discussion about protocol reform

Megan Riehle, assistant photo editor
May 31, 2019

Three years ago, when current juniors were freshman,  photo sharing investigation occurred. The Dropbox was a website where nude photos of students were stored on a file sharing site.The incident has...

Graphic made by Megan Riehle

Why Jaden Smith is grossly underrated

Megan Riehle, Assistant Photo Editor
May 7, 2019

20 year old artist, activist, entrepreneur, business owner and conscientious member of society, Jaden Smith is doing absolutely everything he can to seriously change the world. Being the son of Will Smith...

Jordan Bancroft being held by her teamates after a race.

Coming out

Megan Riehle, assistant photo editor
April 16, 2019

In the study “Out On The Fields” nearly 9,500 athletes spoke about their experiences with homophobia in the sports community. This study showed that 72 percent of lesbians under the age of 22, do not...

Honoring Nipsey Hussle

Megan Riehle, Staff Reporter
April 2, 2019

Well known rapper Nipsey Hussle was shot and killed on Sunday, March 31, leaving behind his wife Lauren London and his children Kross and Emani Asghedom. He was killed outside of his clothing store, The...

Aspiring Hemingway with a knack for stirring up trouble

Megan Riehle, Assistant Photo Editor
February 11, 2019

I always knew my dad was a bit of a troublemaker, but after interviewing him I realize I underestimated him and his siblings. Many of his stories have been reserved for a later date (things I'll understand...

“The hand represents one of my biggest faults which is holding onto the things I need to let go so that’s why it’s holding a dandelion.”

Think ink

Megan Riehle, Assistant Photo Editor
February 7, 2019

The helmet or the game?

The helmet or the game?

Megan Riehle, Staff
December 4, 2018

Football is a rather dangerous sport: there were 281 concussions in the NFL in the 2018 season alone. This raises the question of if players are being well protected by the pads and helmets they are provided....

Oregonians DO need to conserve water

Oregonians DO need to conserve water

Megan Riehle, Staff Reporter
November 27, 2018

Oregon gets almost 40 inches of rain annually, while some states get less than 15. Because of this, many people don’t see a need to preserve water. And while it might not be obvious in everyday lives,...

Alone on the streets

Megan Riehle, Staff Reporter
October 31, 2018

Load More Stories
$50
$500

Megan Riehle