Writing beyond the classroom

New Writing Club gives students a creative outlet throughout the week
Advised by Thomas Darren, the Writing Club meets every Wednesday and Friday during lunch in room E106.
Lauren Sexton

After being introduced and available to all students, the new Writing Club provides students with time dedicated to individual writing. Beginning in October, the club meets every Wednesday and Friday during lunch in room E106, and their adviser is Darren Thomas.

Julia Golgotiu, junior, runs the club. Golgotiu begins each meeting with a proposal of what the students could write, such as a specific type of poem. The club generally focuses on fictional writing, but members are allowed to work on all types of writing, including short and long stories, essays, and poems.

“I do not want to force anyone to write anything,” Golgotiu said. “I am more than happy to review work and give feedback to improve any type of writing.”

Members of the club also have the option of submitting their writing to Kaleidoscope, the school’s literary arts magazine. 

“This is a good chance for a creative outlet for most students,” Golgotiu said. “As a junior or a senior, you don’t really have a lot of time for that creative work anymore because there are SATs, tests, and college applications. So it’s just nice to have a moment in the day where you can still do creative arts or express yourself creatively and just have a moment to work on individual pieces.”

Golgotiu has been working on writing her own books and stories since she was 13 years old. She has written 35 chapters for one of her books, and with this previous experience, she can assist those in Writing Club.

“I hope to become an author or English teacher when I’m older,” Golgotiu said. “I have a background in critiquing my own writing and seeking critique from others to try to refine it. So, I am more than willing to share what I’ve learned personally from my writing experience.”

Joe Garrick, junior, has been a member of the club since its creation. She was a part of the thought process that led to Golgotiu ultimately starting the club.

“[Golgotiu] is always there if you need someone to check something, get ideas, or revise,” Garrick said. “She has that leadership skill. She is very approachable and gives great feedback.”

So far, Garrick has written one long story. She writes during club meetings and in her free time outside of school.

As a junior or a senior, you don’t really have a lot of time for that creative work anymore because there are SATs, tests, and college applications. So it’s just nice to have a moment in the day where you can still do creative arts or express yourself creatively and just have a moment to work on individual pieces.”

— Julia Golgotiu

“You can do things on your own but you can also talk to people and create friendships and bonds,” Garrick said. “And, you can explore writing and the different versions.”

Currently, the club does not have any events planned. To become involved in the club, contact Golgotiu through email for more information.

“It’s really easygoing and very community-based,” Garrick said. “I’ve met a couple of people already even though I didn’t really know everyone when I first came here. So I’ve made friends and it’s just a positive environment.”