Senior Column: College conundrums

Conquering the early action deadline
Eden Pepos
Despite that almost all college acceptance letters are sent via emails and online portals, many colleges also send physical copies of the letters.

The senior scramble was apparent and I was not alone. During October, predominantly senior classes had a dozen seniors attempting to meet the early deadlines for college applications. The stress was on, and my attendance record was taking a hit with the numerous mental health days I was taking. 

Overall, senior year is filled to the brim with unexpected tasks.

As a junior, I knew the application process consisted of a personal essay, however I did not understand the vast amount of other things it would entail. Things like supplemental essays, letters of recommendation, and inputting information about every single part of my life into my laptop screen.

If I could go back to a year ago, I would tell my junior-self to stop worrying about my personal essay topic and start worrying about the other parts of my college application. But, I digress. 

I applied to my top choices for colleges. I decided to meet their early action deadline, that way if I did not get in or got deferred, I would still have had enough time to apply for regular decision deadlines at different schools. This is a pretty common way that students go about the application process. 

However, one thing I did not plan for arose two weeks after I submitted my application to the University of Oregon. My Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) came back with inconsistencies to my official transcript. “No big deal,” I thought. 

I worked with Kami Vermillion, the school’s college and career counselor, to get it fixed and sent back. Unfortunately it was not that simple, and two more times it got sent back over the next month. Which caused tears. Lots and lots of tears. However, it made the relief of my acceptance that much sweeter. 

Despite all the stress from college application season, getting to tell my friends and family about my college decision made up for the entire process. Telling the teachers who so kindly wrote my letters of recommendation, friends who gave me endless support and encouragement, and my parents, who are always my biggest cheerleaders, made the process worth it. 

So, that is why this column slacked off after the first edition. 

Now that my decision is made, it gives me the opportunity to dedicate myself to my favorite activities to finish out my high school career. I now have more time to plan activities for the youth group I co-lead, to dedicate myself to writing and journalism, and to plan my senior vacation. 

By far, my favorite part of having my college applications done early is that now I get to enjoy the depleting time I have left with the class of 2024.