WLHSnow

Filed under Current Events

Why film classes are no longer offered

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why film classes are no longer offered

Wind Lothamer, Visual Arts Department chair, Media Arts Instructor, and former film teacher at WLHS.

Iris Brucker

Iris Brucker

Iris Brucker

The school year has started and students are beginning to get into the rhythm of their new classes and subjects. One class new students won’t be taking this year is film.  

Film I and II focused on the analyzation and interpretation of movies, films and similar media. They focused on critical thinking and exploring the art and messages behind films. This year the classes are no longer offered. 

“I think it was a couple different factors,” Wind Lothamer, visual arts department chair and former film teacher, said. “The main one being that we just don’t have a teacher or space to teach it.”

According to Lothamer, the film program lacked proper staff and a space designated for teaching it, previously using the photo classroom. With the photo program growing, other curriculum had to re-group to accommodate it, leading to the film classes being cut.

There is still some question as to whether it would be brought back to the school in later years, with some film one students being upset over its expulsion and being unable to complete the full course.

“Students have voiced their slight concerns and stuff about it and were kind of dismayed, but nothing like a movement or anything…” Lothamer said. “If there’s future interest, bring it to the administration’s attention, and we can re-evaluate it.”

Even though the class is no longer available, students can still express other artistic interests.

The school offers many different art-related classes and curriculums, and it is considered a high-priority subject.

“I think everybody needs to have a certain amount of time that they can spend on creative endeavors…” Lothamer said, “So being able to find those outlets and being able to find those particular skills, abilities and passions is very important.”

He also mentions the possibility of some students starting a film club, stating that the resources still existed, and if students were interested enough and had a teacher to support it, it is definitely a possibility in the future.

“We have all the stuff for it, and if students have an interest, it could definitely be a possibility in the future,” Lothamer said.

Iris Brucker, Staff reporter

Iris Brucker, Sophomore had always been an answer seeker at heart. Since a young age she was constantly asking questions about anything and everything,...

• Athletics

High School Football Rules Could Be Changed To Prevent Concussions

• Why film classes are no longer offered

Current Events

The Gender/Identity Plays

Current Events

Every day needs a night: the issue of light pollution

• Current Events

The Breakdown – November 2018

Academics

Academic seminar

• Athletics

Districts Track Meet

Arts and Culture

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

• Current Events

Poverty in West Linn – and what you can do

Arts and Culture

Shining a light on student musicians

Current Events

Journalist students explore U of O

Why film classes are no longer offered