Wally Milner, Co-Editor-in-Chief

All content by Wally Milner
At 9 a.m., protesters march across the Oregon City Bridge.

[Photo] Students march in global climate strike

Kaleigh Henderson, Current Events Editor
March 15, 2019

Merkley will not run for president

Merkley will not run for president

Wally Milner, Co-Editor-in-Chief
March 6, 2019

In a video released Tuesday morning, Oregon junior Senator Jeff Merkley announced he would not be running for president, and would instead run for re-election to the senate. Merkley, a Democrat, has...

Students marchers filled the West Linn courtyard on March 14 2018.

Students plan walkout over health curriculum

Wally Milner, Co-Editor-in-Chief
February 2, 2019

A group of West Linn students advocating for changes to district health curriculum is calling for a student walkout. The event, which organizers say will be held at the end of third period, on Monday,...

Astoria

[Photo]

Astoria

astoria

[Photo]

astoria

astoria

[Photo]

astoria

astoria

[Photo]

astoria

The power and glory

Wally Milner, Co-editor-in-chief
December 1, 2018

It is an irony not lost on me that reporting on my own nomination to a journalism convention requires I commit the cardinal sin of reporting, that is, I cannot write this article without making myself...

Politics enters the age of the internet

Politics enters the age of the internet

Wally Milner, Co-Editor-in-Chief
November 27, 2018

In 1960, the Vice President of the United States took on a young, upstart Massachusetts Senator in a televised debate. The story is famous. Over radio, listeners heard the political experience of the...

Designed by Philip Chan

Democrats win House of Representatives

A wave of victories in suburban America swept Democrats to power in the House of Representatives, giving them their first majority since 2010. With 413 of the 435 seats officially declared, Democrats...

The Candidates Speak: As the candidates for the state house, Julie Parrish (R) and Rachel Prusak (D) share their opening statements in hopes of winning over this highly contested district.

Democrats sweep Oregon races, win House, Republicans hold Senate

Wally Milner and Aleks Brooks
November 7, 2018

Editors note: Wally Milner volunteered with Rachel Prusak's campaign for State Representative. In Oregon Democrats emerged victorious and on a national level won the House of Representatives and the...

State Representative Julie Parrish speaks about her experience as a wife of someone who served in Iraq.

Candidates Parrish, Prusak, and Paulson lay out visions for Oregon

Wally Milner, Co-Editor-in-Chief
October 19, 2018

Editors note: The author of this article has volunteered for Rachel Prusak's campaign Candidates for the Oregon state legislature attended a forum in the Performing Arts Center on Wednesday, Oct. 17. The...

Hundreds of protesters have taken over the Portland Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters. Protests began on June 19, in reaction to the Trump administrations policy of separating migrant children from their families.

Protesters occupy Portland ICE facility

Matilda Milner and Wally Milner
July 17, 2018

This story may contain language some readers find offensive. Discretion is advised. 

Newly named principal, Kevin Mills, was introduced to the staff this morning to take over for Lou Bailey, outgoing principal. Mills will begin as principal in July.

Principal Kevin Mills leaves West Linn High School

Wally Milner and Matilda Milner
July 3, 2018

In an email sent to staff and families, West Linn Principal Kevin Mills announced that he will not be returning to his position for the 2018-19 school year. Mills, who was promoted from Vice Principal...

Mass shootings define our generation

Mass shootings define our generation

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
June 8, 2018

There has been yet another school shooting. This time in Santa Fe, Texas. It all feels so familiar. The scene. The victims. The parade of news reports. The vigils and the names take on the dull hue...

Kate Brown, Knute Buehler to face off in Governor race

Wally Milner and Matilda Milner
May 17, 2018

Tuesday, May 15, saw Oregon voters nominate their candidates for Governor, Representative, and the state House and Senate races. Democratic gubernatorial Primary Governor Kate Brown took an easy...

Its too late

It’s too late

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
February 23, 2018

The weeks following the shootings in Parkland, Florida have seen desperate conservatives frantically hiding their immorality behind the shield of time. “It’s too soon” and “don’t politicize the...

Taken by White House photographer Shealah Craighead

The state of the presidency

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
February 20, 2018

On Jan. 30th, President Donald Trump presented his first official State of the Union address. After a year of chaos and controversy, the president’s speech, written by Stephen Miller, struck a strong,...

Courtesy wikimedia commons

Lessons from Alabama

Wally Milner
January 10, 2018

A race that was expected to be an easy win for Luther Strange was thrown into chaos when radical judge Roy Moore won the Republican nomination. After The Washington Post broke a story about Moore’s...

Students demo robots for Hour of Code

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
December 22, 2017

The robotics team demonstrated their new robots after competing in the FIRST tech challenge. Students also advertised for a new robotics club. Robotics member Parker Carlson, junior explained "What...

Radical problems

Radical problems

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
November 8, 2017

It has been a surreal year. On November 8, 2016, Donald Trump was elected president, against all odds. Since that moment, the fabric of American political reality has fallen away. It has...

Mills addresses racist vandalism found in bathroom

Wally Milner and Philip Chan
November 4, 2017

Principal Kevin Mills addressed obscene graffiti on campus in a video on Oct. 27. The statement was broadcast to all students and an email was sent out to families. It came in response to at least two...

Understanding Catalan secession

Understanding Catalan secession

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
October 28, 2017

Update: Since the publication of this article, Spanish prime minister Rajoy has formally dissolved the  government of Catalonia. Ousted Catalan president Carles Puigdemont has fled to Belgium. He faces...

Five Netflix movies you should watch

Five Netflix movies you should watch

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
October 4, 2017

It’s somewhat ironic that, in an age where access to entertainment is more widespread than ever, it seems impossible to decide what to watch. Netflix has thousands of movies, but scrolling through them...

Photo by Crash Underride via Wikimedia Commons.

The sword of the executive

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
September 27, 2017

Leading up to this weekend, two stories seemed set to dominate the American news cycle: Rising tensions with North Korea and the catastrophic damage dealt to Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria. These are two...

Students working with the Bus Project, armed with stickers and candy, await eager voters-to-be. From left to right: Zack Huffstutter, senior; Haley Thayer, senior; Skylar Kool, senior.

Voter registration day

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
September 26, 2017

Today is voter registration day for students. A stand outside of the F-Lab is the site where 17 year olds and 18 year olds can sign up to participate in upcoming elections. “We’re working with...

Trumps election was inevitable

Trump’s election was inevitable

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
September 10, 2017

If we are to change anything, we must first accept that the election of Donald Trump was inevitable. Oh sure, had President Trump run against a different candidate, he might not have won. If James Comey...

Student Streets vending machines have been replaced with trash cans.

Where are our vending machines?

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
August 31, 2017

Students have recently noted a strange absence at the school. The hallways have been totally bereft of vending machines. The ever-reliable snack dispensers vanished over the summer. Hungry students...

image1

[Photo] False patriotism

Wally Milner, Coverage Editor
August 29, 2017

Macron celebrating after his French Election win.

Foreign election musings

Wally Milner, Staff Writer
May 19, 2017

Macron’s Victory shows America what could have been On May 7, Emmanuel Macron defeated Marine Le Pen in the French presidential election. Le Pen has often been compared to Donald Trump, as her campaign...

Dr. Strange’s stunning visuals make up for cliched plot

Wally Milner
January 9, 2017

If someone were to read the script of “Dr. Strange”, the latest entry in Marvel's creative universe, the response probably wouldn’t be great. Sure, the story has some decent jokes, but the plot is...

Students gather in front of West Linn to share a message of peace and tolerance. Photo by Philip Chan.

Students fill courtyard in walkout

Wally Milner and Philip Chan
November 14, 2016

Editor's note: Wally Milner spoke at this event  Hundreds of students walked out of class at 1:30 Monday afternoon, gathering in front of the school to protest threats, intimidation and bullying....

Republicans shock world: Win presidency, Senate and House

Wally Milner, Staff Writer
November 9, 2016

November 8, 2016, saw one of the most incredible elections in the history of the United States. The presidential election shocked the world, while down ballot races delivered many surprises. History was...

But Who’s Winning?

But Who’s Winning?

Wally Milner
October 17, 2016

Every four years, it seems we’re flooded with a tsunami of data and statistics, as the latest and greatest in presidential prediction technology are wheeled out. But let’s be honest, they really don’t...

Load More Stories
$50
$500

Wally Milner